Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Angler's Legacy - A Chance to Make a Difference

Those of us that grew up fishing have childhood memories of favorite fishing excursions with loved ones. While both of my parents fished, it was my grandpa who taught me the most about fishing and many of my memories are of our excursions together.

I remember many evenings spent preparing the fishing gear and boat for those early 4 a.m. departures. I remember how patient he was while untangling my lines (over and over again). And I remember catching him a time or two putting a fish he hooked on the end of my line while I was distracted so that I would think I caught the fish.

It's because of these memories that many of us continue to fish and teach the young anglers in our life today. But despite more fishing opportunities today, fewer people are buying licenses and going fishing. Why?

Life today is different.

People spend more time indoors today watching TV or playing video games. More and more people don't seem to make the weekend excursions to nearby lakes and rivers like they used to (no doubt rising costs play a role). This all means that many kids today will never experience the joy of catching their first fish. They'll miss out on the same special memories that so many of us share.

But with your help, this can change. TakeMeFishing.org has started a website for anglers to help share the fishing legacy with others. This is an opportunity to help somebody else experience the joy of fishing.

Simply put, Angler's Legacy is a national mission created to help anglers give something back to others, and make a difference. All they want is for you to make a pledge to take somebody fishing – a family member, co-worker, neighbor, acquaintance at church or, perhaps, the mechanic who works on your car.

Take the pledge - I did! It's free and easy!

Then come back and share your favorite fishing memory with us. We love fishing stories - especially the ones made while growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment